The Bronx River Parkway (BRP) is a major north-south transportation artery in southern Westchester County. The BRP is on the National Highway System and the northernmost portions, including the project area, are on the National Register of Historic Places. Approximately midway on this route in Westchester are two interconnected bridges that cross the Bronx River and the MTA Metro-North Railroad. Located immediately south of Exit 12 (Crane Road) in Scarsdale, and straddling the Greenburgh/Scarsdale municipal border, the two connected bridges are referred to as a single structure known as the Crane Road Bridge (or Viaduct). A bridge replacement project is currently underway.
To see the progress we've made in replacing the bridge, browse our photo gallery.
Built in 1924, the Crane Road Bridge was designed by one of New York’s premier architectural firms, Delano & Aldrich, who designed many historic structures, including the Marine Air Terminal at LaGuardia Airport and Kykuit, the Rockefeller family estate in Sleepy Hollow, NY. The bridge’s circular concrete piers, covered with rustic stone, are reminiscent of a clutch of mushrooms supporting a bridge deck curving gently around Scarsdale Lake, over the Bronx River and the adjacent Metro-North railroad, and through the Bronx River Parkway Reservation. The connected bridges have deteriorated and require rehabilitation or replacement.
You may also subscribe to receive updates on the progess of the bridge's repairs.
Project updates and latest information
On the afternoon of Friday, September 4, prior to Labor Day weekend, the Bronx River Parkway was restored to full operational in the vicinity of the Crane Road Bridge. The mainline roadway was restored to two lanes in each direction and the entrance ramp from Pipeline/Aqueduct Road to the SB Bronx River Parkway was also reopened. In addition, both northbound and southbound Exit 12 Ramps to Crane Road were reopened.
As of October 21, 2015 the Parkland restoration/tree plantings have been substantially completed and the Bronx River Parkway Reservation Pathway reopened to the public. This includes the new sidewalk on the bridge over the Metro-North Railroad and the ramp that accesses the Pathway and the southbound (inbound) railroad platform.
Thank you for your consideration and understanding as we have worked towards a successful completion of this project.
The project commenced construction in June 2012 and is expected to be substantially completed in August 2015.
Construction activities currently taking place or occurring soon include:
- Finalization of asphalt plug joints
- Landscaping in the vicinity of Pipeline (Aqueduct Road)
- Tree plantings - to begin this fall due to seasonal restrictions
Construction activities substantially completed:
- Installation of new stone masonry
- Installation of guiderail, signs and pavement markings
- Restriction to one lane of traffic in each direction
- Closure of northbound Exit 12
- Closure of the southbound entrance from Pipeline (Aqueduct Road)
- Asphalt paving
- Bridge deck waterproofing
- Installation of old stone masonry salvaged from the old structures
- Construction of the Phase 4 abutment wall and bridge seat for the Middle Abutment
- Construction of the Phase 4 abutment wall and bridge seat for the North Abutment
- Construction of the Phase 4 (northerly) Wing Wall for the North Abutment
- Installation of the Phase 4 pre-cast box beams over the Metro-North Railroad
- Demolition of the bridge over the Metro-North Railroad
- Excavation for footings at the north and middle abutments
- Construction of the west abutment soldier pile wing wall
- Installation of watermain joint rings on the 48" watermain under the SB BRP
- Removal of the old mushroom bridge over the Bronx River
- Shift of traffic onto the new bridge
- Paving and installation of bridge joints in the northbound direction
- Demolition of the existing mushroom bridge (day)
- Local street and ramp paving
- Installation of concrete median barrier
- Installation of guiderail/fencing on the east fascia
- Installation of the concrete deck for all 6 piers
- Concrete encasement of structural steel for all 6 piers
- Installation of steel cores, bracket arms and edge Beams for all 6 piers
- Installation of the phase 1 concrete deck over the Metro-North Railroad
- Installation of 12 (of 19) pre-stressed floor beams over the Metro-North Railroad
- Construction of the pedestrian ramp to the Bronx River Parkway Reservation Pathway and the MNR southbound train platform
- Construction of footings for all piers
- Construction of the South Abutment
- Construction of the West Abutment (Phase 1)
- Installation of drilled "H" Piles for the West Abutment (Phase 1)
- Installation of Micro-Piles for the South Abutment
- Construction of the North Abutment (Phase 1)
- Construction of the Middle Abutment (Phase 1)
- Relining of the 54” trunk sewer (beneath the Bronx River)
- Joint repairs to the 48" watermain (under Pipeline Road & BRP – Phase 1)