- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 May 2015 20:30
The Bronx River Parkway will be closed in both directions for approximately 36 hours this weekend due to construction at the Crane Road Bridge on the Greenburgh/Scarsdale border.
- The Northbound Bronx River Parkway will be closed from 10 PM Friday, May 15 until 9 AM Sunday, May 17, between the limits noted below.
- The Southbound Bronx River Parkway will be closed from 9 PM Friday, May 15 until 9 AM Sunday, May 17, between the limits noted below.
This closure is necessary to install the remaining 7 pre-cast concrete box beam panels over the Metro-North Railroad tracks. The initial 12 box beams were installed in September 2013. Each precast box beam is approximately 100 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3.3 feet high and weighs 100,000 pounds. The beams will be set using two 250 ton cranes.
Please note that if all 7 beams can be installed in only 1 night, the Parkway will be completely reopened Saturday morning.
In addition, the 2 cranes along with 6 trailers full of counterweights will be moved into position on Thursday morning May 14 between 7 AM and 8 AM. There may be momentary stoppages of traffic in both directions of the Bronx River Parkway as equipment is moved into place. The cranes will be removed Monday night May 18 during the overnight hours.
The standard Bicycle Sunday Closure of the Bronx River Parkway from 10 AM to 2 PM will be unaffected by this work.
NB & SB BRP Closure
The Northbound and Southbound Bronx River Parkway will be closed:
Northbound Closure (10 PM Friday, May 15 to 9 AM Sunday, May 17)
- There will be no access from the 6 lane portion of the NB Bronx River Parkway to the 4 lane portion of the NB Bronx River Parkway at the Sprain Brook Parkway.
- All traffic will be diverted onto the Sprain Brook Parkway and then Central Park Avenue (NY 100) all the way to White Plains.
- NB BRP will be accessible to local traffic at the following locations (between the Sprain Brook Parkway and Harney Road) at all times.
- Entrances from Paxton Avenue, Elm Street, Scarsdale Road, Thompson Street and Leewood Drive will be open.
- All NB traffic will be diverted at Harney Road to Scarsdale Avenue and East Parkway, reentering the NB BRP at Crane Road.
- The NB BRP will be open to traffic at Crane Road and all points north.
Southbound Closure (9 PM Friday, May 15 to 9 AM Sunday, May 17)
- There will be no access to the SB BRP, in White Plains, south of the County Center.
- All Traffic will be detoured onto Central Avenue , south to the Sprain Brook Parkway.
- Entrances to the Southbound BRP at Main Street & Fenimore Road will be closed.
The SB Bronx River Parkway will be open at Ardsley Road and all points south.
Motorists are advised to seek alternate routes. Numerous variable message signs are being used to alert motorists of the upcoming closures.
The project began in June 2012 and will be completed in the summer of 2015.
For additional information, contact Westchester County Department of Public Works and Transportation at (914) 995-2555. Full details on this project are available at www.westchestergov.com/craneroadbridge.